Friday, February 12, 2010

So How Does Tiffany Sleep Now?

Here's what I do:

NAPS
Nurse Tiffany. When she's getting quite drowsy, I carry her for a while and put her down on the mattress on the floor. She will wake between 15 - 30 mins. I immediately pick her and put her in my hotsling and dance away. After about 15 mins of rocking in the sling, I attempt to put her down again. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it doesn't work, round 2 of Dance Dance Revolution with my handy hotsling. This goes on till she manages to sleep onthe mattress. If dancing-in-the-sling fails, I'll nurse her again. If even nursing her fails, I'll pull my hair out and relook the schedule of the day. The rest of the day's schedule depends on what time she wakes.

BEDTIME
Simple. Just nurse her. Carrying doesn't work. I mean the dancing-in-the-sling thing doesn't work. I've tried many times. Only one thing works: nursing. I just plop myself right next to her on the mattress on the floor and put her to the breast. Breastmilk is like liquid Valium. Helps Tiffy sleep almost immediately. So I'll shuttle between her room and the dining table during dinnertime to put her back to sleep while having dinner. However, at 4am, it's a different story altogether. Our friend wakes up and is like an energizer bunny. She'll entertain herself on the mattress, exploring the undulating terrain of pillows and bolsters while Mommy, in a state of melatonin-induced stupor, will shove her to the breast in the hopes of getting her back to sleep. It never works. Then Mommy will grope in the blacked out darkness (Sunout curtains from Spotlight) for her handy sling and do the dance thing again. For maybe a couple of hours. Sometimes I'm so tired I feel like collapsing on the mattress with her in my sling. She generally falls asleep at about 6am and wakes at 7am for the day.

Honestly, I'm at my wit's end. I'm so tired of making Tiffany sleep but sleep training is so hard to do. Nevertheless, for Tiffany's good (learning self-soothing skills) and my sanity, JD and I have decided to start sleep training after the Chinese New Year. We found a sleep trainer in Singapore. If she's good, I'll put her URL here. If her action plan fails, we'll do Ferberizing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment