Sunday, April 3, 2016

Tandem Nursing 1

I wrote this 4.5 years ago... It was saved as a draft. Just decided to post it today:

"People ask me why I do it. It's very uncommon in Singapore. Baby Stephany is now exactly 3 weeks old. It's really been crazy. Ever since Stephany arrived, Tiffany, my 2 year old toddler, has been wanting to nurse like mad. Before Stephany was born, Tiffany was down to 1-2 nursings only at night. And this was all in her own time. I didn't push for her to reduce nursings. It all happened very naturally. Now, she drinks wayyyyy more than her younger sister does. So, think about that. At night, it is really impossibly crazy for me to deal with the two nursing 'babies' at the same time. It seems like they already have a connection with each other. As soon as Stephany wakes to nurse, Tiffany wakes too. And if Tiffany wakes to nurse, Stephany does so too. Did they plan this together? Why don't they both plan to sleep for 5 hours in a row so that Mother Cow can get some much needed rest?

So. Why did I choose to tandem nurse in a society where even nursing itself is frowned upon by the elderly and those who 'know better'? Like I've mentioned - it is for that special bond I am hoping to forge between sisters, that special inexplicable connection that only two nursing buddies will feel for each other."

UPDATE:
Stephany quit nursing at 9 months old. She self-weaned. I still tandem-nursed though. This time it is with no. 3 and no. 1. Yes, no. 1 started nursing again when her little brother was born. She had self-weaned previously when the wells dried up. Now that I have milk again, she wanted to nurse again. Why not? But she only gets her turn after Timothy is done. Still nursing the two big babies. One is 19 months old and the other is 6 years old! Will let them decide when they want to stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment